Storm Water Program
The primary agency responsible for protecting California's beaches and rivers is the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB). The City of Vernon is a co-permittee to the Los Angeles County Municipal Stormwater Permit which is regulated by the SWRCB. The Vernon Health and Environmental Control Department works with the Public Work's, Water & Development Services to prevent pollution of the storm drain system, which leads directly to the Los Angeles River and eventually to local beaches. Stormwater control is often addressed as part of hazardous materials inspections and can include providing educational materials for businesses. In addition to administering stormwater permit compliance activities, the Vernon Health & Environmental Control Department offers the following stormwater services to Vernon businesses:
- Stormwater permit compliance consultations,
- On site facility evaluations for pollution prevention improvements,
- Construction and development project evaluations,
- Stormwater best management practice evaluations, and
- A storm drain stencil loan program for marking on site storm drains.